Sunday, August 24, 2014

Review: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

I found out about this book a few months ago, but was apprehensive to buy it because I rarely purchase hardcovers. Luckily, I discovered Book Depository a couple weeks ago. I promptly ordered six books and Love Letters to the Dead was one of them.

Back-of-the-Book Blurb: Sometimes the best letters go unanswered. It begins as an assignment for English class: write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain -- he died young, and so did Laurel's sister May -- so maybe he'll understand what Laurel is going through. Soon Laurel is writing letters to lots of dead people -- Janis Joplin, Heath Ledger, River Phoenix, Amelia Earhart, Amy Winehouse...It's like she can't stop. She writes about her new high school, her new friends, her first love -- and her shattered life. But the ghosts of Laurel's past can't be contained between the lines of a page forever. She must face up to them -- before they consume her.

My Thoughts: This book made me feel so many things. I felt heartbroken about Laurel and May. At some points the story was a tad hard to follow. I do wish more was said about how Laurel was before May's death, because it focused mostly on May's personality. It was hard to tell if Laurel had always been edgy, like May, or more of a goody-two-shoes. Either way, I enjoyed this book. It wasn't extraordinary, but it was a quick and easy read. I love when books make me feel sad, excited, or any other emotions. All in all, if you're looking for something that will tug at your heart, go for this. If you are looking for something that will really make you think, then this is probably not the book for you.

Final Rating: 7/10 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment